10 Things that Suck About the Job Hunt

things_that_suck_about_job_huntingIt’s finally Wednesday! This week is just dragging for whatever reason. I’ve been applying to jobs like crazy so that’s more than likely why. Several months ago, I was hired for a temporary position in Washington, DC. That position’s contract is going to expire in a few months and I need to find a new, permanent job (preferably near a Starbucks). I’ve been thinking to myself how ridiculous the application process is nowadays. My parents were telling me how differently things were done “way back when”. Frankly, it sounded a lot less complicated. Since we’re on the subject, I’m going to share with you the most annoying things about job hunting. I guarantee you’ll at least laugh or be able to sympathize with me.

1. Lack of salary information– It’s like “here’s a job that sounds pretty decent but we aren’t going to tell you how much it pays.” I get it, employers don’t want to advertise a specific number when the best applicant they find isn’t worth that much, but at least give me an idea of what the minimum salary is so I can decide whether I should waste my time with the lengthy application process you inevitably have. This brings me to the next annoying thing.
  2. The lengthy application process– There are only a few applications I’ve filled out that I thought were efficient and made sense. Most of the other processes are long, ask repetitive questions, and are clearly designed for a computer to pick through looking for keywords. If your resume (which you inevitably have to reenter into their “employment history” section) doesn’t include these keywords, then it will be tossed into cyber space’s garbage can.
  3. Filling out a profile– For many of the bigger companies, before you can even apply for a position you have to create a profile. This means you come up with a username, password, and give a few other details about yourself. That’s all fine and dandy until you have to do it a million times.
  4. Empty promises– “If you’re qualifications meet what we’re looking for, we will be in touch. If not, we’ll keep your resume on file for 6 months in case another job opens up that better fits with your skill set.” Yeah, I’ve heard that before.
  5. The let down– You’ve applied, waited for someone to get back to you, gotten excited, and then you get this email: “Thank you for your interest in ___ position.Β The initial screening of applications has been completed. At this time we have decided to move forward with other candidates whose experience and background better match the requirements for the position.” Thanks for the computer generated response. I do appreciate it. Sarcasm intended.
  6. Cover letters– Who honestly reads these? You spend at least 30 minutes tailoring the cover letter to the company’s needs and then nothing comes of it. The end.
  7. Strength and weakness questions– Do you really think I’m going to tell you what my biggest weakness is? Since a computer is probably sifting through those answers too, I think it would be real funny to say that my biggest weakness is being on time for work. At least it would make me laugh.
  8. “Entry level” positions– Years ago when the economy was on the up and up, an entry level position was tailored to the recent college graduate who had maybe an internship or two on their resume. Now, underneath all of the other qualifications for an entry level position, you need, drum roll please, one to two years of experience! Because that makes perfect sense.
  9. Advertised entry level positions– Yes, I know this contradicts my complaints from my last point but in my application experience, anytime a position is advertised as being entry level it usually ends up being a scam. For example, I applied for a job being advertised as “entry level communications assistant”. I thought I had struck gold when I found this! Better yet, I even got an interview for it. A day later, I got on the phone with my interviewer and she told me more about the job. Apparently my job as a “communications assistant” would include going door-to-door “communicating” to people about the amazing coupons they can buy from me. No thanks, I think I’m good.
  10. The people that say they’ll “keep their eyes open– People are busy and have busy lives, I understand that. It just puts a damper on my mood when I ask someone who I think will actually know something about finding a job in a certain locale and they don’t and then follow it up with “I’ll keep my eyes open.” You’re a human, an hour from now you’ll forget we had this conversation, but I know you mean well.

I know, I’m a negative Nancy and I’ve already been told by my mom that I’ll never get a job with that attitude. Frankly, this whole blog post was just comedic relief. Sometimes you just have to let the sarcasm flow and have yourself a good laugh about it. One day, hopefully in the near future, I’ll find a job I love to do and a company I want to work for. Right now, I’m just going to laugh about life and keep submitting applications.

Signature

0 Responses to 10 Things that Suck About the Job Hunt

1. houseofholts says:

Hi ladies- I am that person that hires “entry level” talent for a fortune 100 company. 3 pieces of advice that hopefully will save you from frustration. 1: If it is not a reputable company, you have no business applying for an entry level position. This is a scam, or if it is not then you will be grossly under paid. 2: If you want to know about salary information then check out Glassdoor.com (again, a lot of reputable companies post this information- I ALWAYS post a salary range visible to ALL candidates for ALL positions I hire for). 3: Cover letters are a crock. In 5 years doing this NEVER, and I do mean NEVER, have I even thought about opening one, let alone reading it. Cover letters died in the 90s unless you are applying for a position with VP somewhere in it.

Best of luck, and work your network. Try connecting with old professors. It is insane how connected they are. This is where I find my best talent! Also, don’t neglect your virtual network!

Thanks so much for this information! I appreciate it greatly! I wish more hiring managers were like you.
      I especially appreciate the advice about applying for entry level jobs only at reputable companies. I’ve definitely almost been roped into a few scams!

2. Spot on observations! I totally understand what you mean and (unfortunately) can identify with every item on your list. You have a great attitude about it — we have to laugh about it and just keep trying! All the best to you in your search.

3. I love #8! Exactly how are you supposed to have all this “experience” for entry-level positions when nobody will hire you in the first place to GAIN the required experience?? It’s like a vicious cycle! Or they expect you to have specific/expensive degrees/training, yet they want to pay you a tiny salary that would barely cover your student loans (for the degree they require…for that entry level position)…I feel your pain, and appreciate this funny post!

4. I absolutely loved this post. You hit the nail on the head with every single one! When I was job hunting, IT WAS THE WORST. I’d never felt so useless in my life (for all the reasons you just listed). Best advice I can give? Just keep at it! Give yourself breaks when needed to avoid too much burnout (or negative Nancy). I’m sure you know all this already…I really loved reading this πŸ™‚

5. Good luck! I’m going into college and this summer I was on care.com for babysitting jobs the amount of applications I wrote for families was insane, and it definitely sounds like a computer based set up so I’d try to add my own style to it, but honestly it’s like a dating website and it’s just hard. I would meet with families and they would say they would call later…and they never would, or I’d connect with them and then they would say we don’t need help anymore so a lot of times it was a let down. Thank goodness I found a babysitting job and it was great for the summer and then I found a date night position!

But enough about my rambling, your post made me laugh because it’s so true-Who reads a cover letter!? Anyway best of luck! <3

6. It’s a tough road. Maintaining optimism is half the battle!

7. Shauna841505 says:

Oh my gosh I HATE how complicated applications have become. I remember back in the day when all you did was either fill out a paper application at the location OR give them a resume. Now you have to do all of these questions online and it’s all just insane. However, I do have to give credit to the cover letters. I did recruiting at my last job, and it was the easiest way to weed out the really bad candidates. You’d be so shocked to see some of the cover letters we would receive. Borderline kindergarten writing.

Thanks for the perspective on the cover letters! I never realized they’re used to judge writing skills! What are the characteristics of a good cover letter in your opinion?

• Shauna841505 says:

I think that the most important part of a cover letter is that it reads well. Be sure that everything is grammatically correct, but flows and doesn’t sound “too intelligent” (unless of course you’re applying for a rocket scientist position, hehe). But really, just something that flows but highlights your strengths! πŸ™‚

8. Autumn says:

I feel ya…sigh…the never ending job search just sucks!! Best wishes!!

9. Amelia Vesper says:

I totally know how you feel. Job hunting is the worst!! Hang in there, I hope you find something awesome that makes all this agony worth it!

xo Mil

10. kelsmac14 says:

I can’t decide which of your points is my favorite because they are all way. too. real. Although the salary level, when not listed, can sometimes be Googled (depending on the industry and position), I do believe even a ballpark number should be stated by the employer – that is a factor in my job searches after all, I would appreciate the company owning up to that responsibility. And setting up a profile!? Give me a break.

Thank you for this comedic relief – you are definitely not alone. Good luck in your pursuits!

11. villpower says:

” I’ll find a job I love to do and a company I want to work for. ” – If you somehow achieve this, just patent the formula of finding the job. My experience says that if you fall into job which you really love to repeat everyday than you’ll be the most blessed person in the world. Btw like the idea of having sarcastic fun at most arduous activity of the life. Keep searching.

12. Kaitlin says:

I have been there a few times. It’s so frustrating! I think I probably applied for over 100 jobs before getting even my first interview. Keep persevering! And be open to all sorts of jobs. You never know what might be the perfect opportunity.