Hey everyone! Normally, I’d share a great sale find or new outfit I bought but I felt a little humor would be nice for a change. I’ve been thinking about writing this post for awhile but hadn’t gotten around to it until right about now. I’m a young professional trying to make my way through the business world without having a real clue as to what I’m doing. However, since I haven’t been in the workforce for very long and I’m not entirely accustomed to how companies are run, I can offer a different perspective on many things. Namely, corporate buzzwords.
Every Monday I create a mental list that I slowly fill in over the course of the week with every darn buzzword I hear. It’s like a game of bingo in my head. While buzzwords have become a regular part of emails and communication, they’re for the most part, useless filler words.
Why do I state this opinion so decidedly? Because I listen to people throw them around all day on conference calls, through emails, and just in regular conversation. Even more annoying, those that use them often are particularly favored by company leadership. In my experience, you may know nothing about anything but if you can use buzzwords, you’re golden.
Most Annoying Buzzwords
I won’t even attempt to rank them because everyone has one or two that drives them crazy, so I’ll let you decide which is the worst.
- “Feedback” – Nice term meaning you’ll have more work to do after you’ve already finished something (also my least favorite buzzword).
- “Circle Back Around” – Is this Ring-Around-the-Rosy? I don’t think so, we aren’t circling back to anything.
- “Dive Deeper” – Does anyone at this conference table have diving equipment? Nope. Therefore, I’m not diving deeper.
- “Best Practices” – Just shut up.
- “Corporate Values” – No matter how much bull crap a company puts into their mission or value statement the only thing anyone really values is making a profit.
- “Let’s Touch Base” – Let’s not and say we did.
- “It’s On My Radar” – Really? I don’t see an antennae attached to your head.
- “Thought Leadership” – You want me to lead with my thoughts? That’s interesting seeing as how you usually shoot my ideas down.
- “Key Takeaway” – All I can picture is a key being taken away.
- “Deliverable” – Ooh look! More work!
- “Spearhead” – I guess it’s better than saying “Can you tackle this?” but not by much.
- “Going Forward” – Just no.
- “Get the Ball Rolling” – I hope you mean kickball, otherwise Imma let that ball sit there.
- “Hop on a Call” – Are you really going to hop? Or just dial a number?
There are obviously a hundred more I could list but these ones really get under my skin. Please share your least favorite below!